Our neighborhood swarms with ghosts and goblins, super heroes and princesses on Halloween evening. We urge all residents to practice excellent common sense and pay extra attention to safety precautions so that all enjoy the evening.
Please be especially cautious this day whether on foot or in cars. Here are a few tips from National Crime Prevention Council website. For more tips and information, please visit their website.
Keep in mind the next few tips to make sure your trick-or-treater’s night in the neighborhood will be safe and fun.
- Older kids should trick-or-treat in groups; kids walking around alone are never as safe as those in groups, and especially not at night. Younger kids should be accompanied by a parent or trusted neighbor.
- Review the route for trick-or-treating beforehand and set a time set when kids should be home. Also, have a plan if your child gets separated from his or her friends or from you.
- Remind your children not to enter strange houses or cars.
After a successful and safe night around the neighborhood, remember that the treats still need scrutiny before anyone eats them.
- Remind your children not to eat treats until they’ve come home. To help ensure this, feed them a meal or a substantial snack before they go out.
- Check all treats at home in a well-lighted place. Be especially wary of anything that is not wrapped by the factory or that is no longer sealed.
- Remind kids not to eat everything at once, lest they be green even without the makeup.
Also note that Daylight Savings Time is THIS WEEKEND!
Daylight Savings Time Sunday, November 3 – Don’t forget to “Fall Back”
Change your clocks back one hour. This is a good reminder to check your smoke alarms. The fire department recommends checking your smoke alarms at least twice a year, and scheduling those checks when the time changes is an easy way to remember to ensure your smoke alarms are working. If any of them are battery operated it’s an ideal time to replace with new batteries.
For all Neighborhood Watch Tuesday Tips, click here: Tuesday Tips